Venturing Skills Requirements
To some prospective Venturer Scouts, these requirements may seem simple. To others, they represent new and untried experiences. All of us can remember some aspects of outdoor activities that were absolutely miserable: for example, hiking with an overloaded pack, taking the wrong food, and tents that collapsed.
Prior to participation in, and completing, a two-day bushwalking expedition demonstrate the following:
Be assessed in the above skills by the Expedition Leader
- The correct equipment to be taken and how it should be packed, including: clothing, footwear, sleeping gear, food and water containers and wet and dry gear.
- How to pitch and strike a tent and fly, explain factors in choosing a tent site, and the correct care of a tent, fly, poles and pegs during the journey and on returning home.
- The planning of a menu, including quantities, for the expedition in order to achieve a well-balanced meal using lightweight components.
- Knowledge of the fire precautions and restrictions and the correct way to extinguish a fire. Show how to light a fire in adverse conditions. Build and light a fire in the open and cook a sustaining, well-balanced meal on it. Show the correct method of rubbish disposal.
- How to tie and show the practical use of four knots or rescue devices chosen by the Unit from the Unit's activities.
- How to read a map and orient it by both compass and visible features.
- First Aid
(To be completed before the bushwalking expedition).
- Be able to explain the major principles of casualty treatment.
- Demonstrate the following:
- treatment of hypothermia and hyperthermia.
- treatment of major bleeding.
- Award Scheme
Be able to explain the Award Scheme and list those activities which the Venturer Scout may choose to undertake to achieve the Queen's Scout Award.
- Approval of Unit Council
Earning Venturing Skills is a great way to discover what is required on outdoor expeditions so every Venturer can enjoy these activities for a long time to come.
Return to Venturing Skills